Head of Software
Head of Software Engineering
Software | Up to £90k p.a. | Old Street, London
At Pod Point we’re changing the way people drive. We fundamentally believe that travel shouldn’t damage the Earth so we’ve made it our mission to install a Pod Point (an Electric Vehicle charging point) everywhere you park. To make that vision a reality we need the brightest, most tenacious and most inspiring talent in the world - we are growing faster than the market and we need to maintain that velocity - that’s where you come in!
We’re looking for an innovative, creative Head of Software Engineering to jump on board and help us achieve our ambitious growth goals. You will be responsible for all aspects of our software delivery across our consumer and enterprise software platforms - you’ll direct our team of developers, and be expected to continue to strengthen and grow our software development capability. We are already an established leader in our field, but we need you to help take us to the next level.
We are essentially running a pan European IoT network, currently with 50,000 connected charging devices but as EV adoptions grow this will need to become millions. We need to offer intelligent smart charging which balances the load on the grid across the thousands of connected charge points, understanding and reacting to the charging needs of individuals whilst ensuring substations are not overloaded. We need you to come and help architect and drive this future energy ecosystem.
Our current stack is PHP 7+, Laravel 5.4+, ES6, ReactJS, React Native, along with significant use of AWS services (Lambda, API Gateway, Cloudfront, SQS, SNS, S3, Kinesis Streams, Elasticache and Elasticsearch/Kibana) - and of course HTML5/CSS3/SASS for our various UIs.
Our software culture promotes code quality, following industry best practice coding standards and striving for maximum test coverage of our code repos. This role reports into the CTO and will be based out of our offices near to Old Street Station in London.
- You’re always learning new technologies and looking to advance your skills
- You enjoy getting the best out of your team and mentoring them to become better developers
- You’re organised and detail-oriented enough to manage projects with many moving parts
- You play well with others
- You get stuff done, but you also care about the quality of your work
Essential skills and experience
- Experience in converting business visions into software products.
- Experience mentoring and teaching developers
- Excellent understanding of PHP 7, working with frameworks such as Laravel and Symfony.
- Experience writing and managing complex SQL and relational databases structures.
- Knowledge of systems architecture and web technologies, and exposure to scalable, distributed and real-time messaging platforms
- Experience deploying to AWS cloud infrastructure
- Ability to review proposals, designs and specifications to ensure they are implementable, proposing suitable alternatives if necessary
- Experience working within development pipelines and continuous integration/delivery
- Experience working within an Agile software team
- Guru of all things Git/Github
“Nice to have” but not essential
- Knowledge of IoT infrastructures and concepts
- Knowledge of Docker and containerisation
- Passionate and knowledgeable about the EV industry
And if you’re not sure whether you’re what we’re looking for - send us your CV anyway! We love to hear from people who are passionate about what we do, and we always take the view that a good cultural fit (and mission alignment) is much more important than ticking all the “qualifications, skills and experience” boxes.
Our culture is electric
At Pod Point we like to think we are anything but conventional. We have worked hard to create a rapidly-growing, constantly innovating, flat-structured world, where each employee can see the vital contribution they are making to the company. We knew from the very beginning that a rigid, corporate environment was never going to work for us, and we have stayed true to our word - we’re anything but.
We work hard; we’re not clock-watchers but equally, you may find yourself working into the evening very occasionally. In return we’ll pay you well, give you complete ownership to shape the role, give you ground-breaking projects to work on and surround you with fantastic, talented people. We also provide the following benefits:
- Flexible working hours
- Casual dress code
- Free snacks and drinks
- 25 days holiday
- Very generous maternity and paternity leave scheme
- A fully stocked beer fridge and regular social events (probably too regular)
- Pension scheme
- Eyecare scheme
- Bike to work scheme
- Discounted gym membership
- An extensive library (that we’ll pay you to read books from)
- The odd Pod Point puppy to cuddle.
We like to deal directly with our candidates so no agencies please!